Raging Elk Silk Trail Slide
We are happy to bring you the Raging Elk Silk Trail Slide – a virtual Nordic Ski event with something for everyone. Come out at a time that suits you, choose a distance that suits you, and score yourself an awesome medal created by Wild Wolves Design and some great prizes from our sponsors!
The event runs from February 19 to March 6, 2022
4km * 9km * 13km * 18km
How do I participate in the Silk Trail Slide event?
- Register online – https://skircr.com/product/the-raging-elk-silk-trail-slide-virtual-race/
- Registration is $15 and includes a finisher medal from Wild Wolves Designs
- COMPLETE YOUR ONLINE WAIVER! https://passes.skircr.com/waivers-special/signup.aspx
- Participants that are 16yrs and older must complete the EVENT WAIVER
- Participants that are 15yrs and younger must have their parent or legal guardian complete BOTH the EVENT WAIVER and PARENTAL CONSENT WAIVER
- Join the Fernie Alpine Resort club on Strava and check out the four routes on offer https://www.strava.com/clubs/FARevents
- Complete one (or all) of the event segments, track your results and post on Strava.
- Head into Guest Services to collect your medal
- Show your confirmation email & your Strava results to receive your medal.
- You will automatically go into the draw for our great prize pool when you pick up your medal. Draws will be made once the event is complete!
How to Use Strava for the Event:
- Join the Fernie Alpine Resort Strava club (link above)
- To find the four routes for the Silk Trail Slide, look for the ‘Events’ in the Fernie Alpine Resort club page on Strava.
- Each Route Length is set as a different event – click on the event with the route length you want to complete
- Once in the event, if you click on ‘view the route’ from the event, you have an option on the bottom left of the screen to “use route.” This will automatically take you to the recording feature with the route marked out. This makes it easy to follow the correct route.
- Make sure you start and end your Strava at the start of the route – end of Double Creek, the start of Silk Trails (look for the sign). Once complete, please add into your activity comments/description if you were doing the route on Classic or Skate skis.
We will be using the Strava Segments listed on each Strava event as our leaderboards. Make sure you include whether you were Skate Skiing or Classic Cross Country in your activity comments.
Don’t have Stava? You can still participate. The routes are posted below, and you can export a gpx or tcx file for use in other programs or devices. Track your route on your own device and then simply show proof that you have completed the route to Guest Services (show device, screenshot of the activity etc.) to collect your medal and be entered into the prize draw.
Race routes use a combination of the Manchuria, Scandia Loop, and Silk Trails – you can find our Trail Map here: https://skifernie.com/img/2018-19-FAR-Winter-Multi-Use-Trail-Maps-SFS-Dec-2018.pdf
All routes start at the beginning of the wide-open intersection where Manchuria/Silk Trail starts, and the Double Creek trail ends. Keep an eye out for the event signage.
Here is a description of the trails used in each distance, along with the Strava GPS map of the routes.
4km – One loop taking Manchuria to Silk Trail
9km – One loop taking Manchuria to upper Scandia Loop to lower Scandia loop to Silk Trail.
13km – Do the 9km loop above; when you get to the end of Silk Trail, turn left and then do the 4km loop (take Manchuria to Silk Trail Loop).
18km – Do the 9km route above twice (Manchuria to upper Scandia Loop to lower Scandia Loop to Silk Trail. When you get to the end of Silk Trail, turn left and onto Manchuria and do the same loop again). https://www.strava.com/clubs/710552/group_events/1118711
How do you win prizes?
Everyone who registers and completes a distance will enter our prize draw. Winners will be selected by random draw once the event is complete on March 6. The emphasis of the event is to get out and have fun, so the majority of the prizes will be given away via this random prize draw as it is hard to make this a truly fair competitive event (we know snow conditions will vary throughout the competition window giving some advantages some days over others). We want to create a small incentive for those that are more competitive, and the top times from each leaderboard (and category) in each distance will be entered into a bonus prize draw.
What if I want to do more than one distance?
Participants can do more than one distance. You don’t have to register again if you want to do more than one distance (please note you will only get one finisher medal, though). But for every distance you complete, you get entered into the prize draw. For example – you want to complete both the 4km and 9km distances. You need to register once and can do both distances. After completing your first distance, you can get your finisher medal and draw prize entry. For the second distance, you can come into Guest Services and get a second entry into the draw prize pool (but not a second medal). You can do the distances over different days (you don’t have to do the event all on one day), which is why we have a long competition window. Since the point of the event is to get out and enjoy our nordic trails, we encourage you to do more than one distance over the time frame. 🙂
Who says you need to spend an arm and a leg to be comfortable? Raging Elk Adventure Lodging believes that finding suitable accommodation with great amenities shouldn’t be a budget breaker. With a variety of affordable room options, including Private Rooms, Shared Rooms, Family Rooms, and our brand-new Deluxe Pods, you’ll find a comfortable, clean, and secure place to stay that suits your needs at a price point you’ll love.
Visit their website for more information – https://ragingelk.com/.
Thanks to our black diamond sponsor, Evolution FernieAt Evolution, you’ll find a welcoming, positive environment with endless opportunities to play, challenge yourself and pursue your personal fitness goals! Walking into our facility, you will instantly discover a modern, contemporary health club that emphasizes quality, cleanliness and comfort in a relaxed yet energetic environment. You will feel right at home as our community familiarity and friendliness makes everyone feel welcome.