Raging Elk Dummy Downhill
A highlight of Fernie’s winter Griz Festival! Strictly for fun, this competition features imaginative & hilarious “dummies” on skis launching themselves off a gigantic jump beside the Timber Chair.
The dummies can be created from various materials, and creativity is stressed. They are judged on their construction, creativity, the distance they fly off the jump and the carnage factor when they land.
Prizes are awarded for the best construction, best theme/name, best disintegration, best flight, and more!
The event is a fundraiser for Angel Flight East Kootenay. This entirely volunteer-run charity provides free air transportation to residents of the East Kootenay to medical appointments in Kelowna.
- No living cells are allowed in the race.
- No remote controls or human contact with dummy allowed after launch.
– Not higher than 6 feet, lower than 3 feet or wider than 3 feet at the base.
– Volume-weight up to a max of 100 lbs. MUST PASS WEIGH-IN.
- Only skis or snowboards are allowed to mount dummies on.
- Dummy names must be suitable for publication.
- One team member must go to the top of the course to launch the dummy
- Owners are responsible for retrieving all dummy parts after the event!!
- Gravel/dirt may NOT be used to weigh down your dummy
- No FIRE or FIREWORKS are allowed on the dummy.
- Event organizers reserve the right to disqualify any dummies they feel are unsafe to the event and/or spectators.
The entry fee is a donation to Angel Flight East Kootenay. The minimum donation amount is $20 per dummy. We encourage entries to raise more if they can, as 100% of the entry fees will go towards Angel Flight East Kootenay, and there will be a special award to the dummy entry that raises the most money.
Entries can bring their donations (IN CASH) to the check-in on the event day, or they can donate directly to Angel Flight online and bring proof of donation.
Online donation link: https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/angel-flight-east-kootenay-association/?mprompt=1
* If you choose to donate online, please bring confirmation of the donation (confirmation email or screenshot of the donation confirmation) to Registration & Check-In
11:00 am – 12:00 pm: Dummy Registration, Check-In, and Weigh-In @ bottom of the jump (next to the Timber Chair)
12:00 pm: Judging Begins (all dummies must be weighed in and approved by this time)
12:30 pm: Dummies head to the top of the course
1:00 pm: Dummy Downhill Start
3:00 pm: Awards Ceremony at the venue (bottom of Timber Express Chair)
A huge thanks to our title sponsor, the Raging Elk Adventure Lodging & Kodiak Lounge
Who says you need to spend an arm and a leg to be comfortable? Raging Elk Adventure Lodging believes that finding suitable accommodation with great amenities shouldn’t be a budget breaker. With a variety of affordable room options, including Private Rooms, Shared Rooms, Family Rooms, and our brand-new Deluxe Pods, you’ll find a comfortable, clean, and secure place to stay that suits your needs at a price point you’ll love.
Visit their website for more information – https://ragingelk.com/
Thanks to our black diamond sponsor, Evolution Fernie
At Evolution, you’ll find a welcoming, positive environment with endless opportunities to play, challenge yourself and pursue your personal fitness goals! Walking into our facility, you will instantly discover a modern, contemporary health club that emphasizes quality, cleanliness and comfort in a relaxed yet energetic environment. You will feel right at home as our community familiarity and friendliness makes everyone feel welcome.
Visit their website for more information – https://evolutionfernie.com/