What's New for Summer 2019!
Each season at Fernie Alpine Resort, we strive to make improvements and upgrades to our existing services to ensure you have the best vacation and recreational experience possible!
We are excited about another great summer season! Biking, hiking, aerial park, outdoor programs and events - our offerings will provide the ultimate in summer fun for all ages.
Opening Day for summer is set for Saturday, June 22nd!
Summer season passes are on sale now! We are excited to offer Early Bird Summer Seasons Passes at special rates for this season only - $229 (adult biking pass) and $29.95 (adult hiking pass). We are stoked to be offering longer lift hours this year from 10 am to 5 pm daily (until 7 pm on Thursdays). New this summer - we are happy to announce our mountain bike Enduro ticket - valid for 3 chairlift rides. And we plan to extend the season into September again this year, with one Bonus Weekend on September 7 & 8. This Bonus Weekend is shaping up to be an exciting one – on Saturday we will be hosting the 10th Annual Tears & Gears Mountain Duathlon, and on Sunday we will have the final Fernie Mountain Market of the season in the base area plaza.
As always, Fernie Alpine Resort will have a busy and exciting event & activity calendar. Here are just a few highlights:
- Weekly summer activity programs – including Forage & Feast, Morning Yoga and the Kids Scavenger Hunt/Pool Party/BBQ
- Scott Thursday Night DH Series
- North Face Trail Running Series
- Griz Kidz Summer Carnival
- Perseid Meteor Shower Camp Out
- Pop Up Mountain Markets
The Elk Chair currently provides access to 26 bike trails and 8 hiking trails, with another 3 multi-use trails available directly from the resort base area. We look forward to focusing our attention on these trails and all of the activities accessed via the Elk Chair and will be working hard to provide a Legendary Experience 7 days a week.
Our Trail Crew dedicated their time at the end of last summer & early fall to work on a number of projects, including:
- Rebuild on Monorail
- New advanced technical single track trail - “Last Pirate” (from Playground to Cedar Trail) – was built in September
- New advanced technical single track trail "Cats Pyjamas" (beside Kodiak Karnage) was built last August
Leading into Summer 2019, we have a solid list of trail crew projects:
- Rebuild of the bike lane at bottom of Lizard Run
- Build a mid-mountain progression area in Rubber Ducky area
- Upgrade work on Deer Trail with a new easier access trail from the top of the Elk Chairlift
- Continue with machine work at the bottom of Duff Dynasty
- Upgrading of hiking trails accessed from the Elk Chair, including a new loop through Cedar Bowl
- Trail work on Timber side for summer 2020
Look forward to seeing you on the mountain this summer!
Timber Chair "Extreme Makeover"
This summer, the Timber chair will be receiving an “Extreme Makeover”, with major planned maintenance projects going on over the spring, summer and fall. For this reason, the Timber Chair will not be available for summer operation during the 2019 summer season.
This scheduled maintenance for the Timber Chair includes:
- replacement of the drive and control systems
- new communication lines from top to bottom (that’s 2.5 km of wire!)
- a full rebuild of the 24,000lb gearbox
- installation of an additional new safety/control circuit (to minimize those unplanned lift stoppages)
These large projects involve bringing specialist crews from Leitner, the lift manufacturer, to Fernie.
We will be providing regular updates on the progress of this massive project and look forward to welcoming the Timber Chair back with her “facelift” for our 2019.20 winter operation and 2020 summer operation.