Fernie Alpine Resort Controlled Recreation Area (CRA)
Fernie Alpine Resort is currently closed to the public. No uphill travel is permitted across resort lands at this time.
The dangers, including avalanches, on our closed resort, are massive. One incident triggered by a member of the public could lead to unintended yet devastating consequences reaching many of our staff and community.
Fernie Alpine Resort operates on both private land and a Controlled Recreation Area (CRA), which is a government tenure giving RCR/FAR the rights and responsibilities of ownership. Please read the information below if you would like to know more about how our CRA works.
Please respect this closure for everyone’s safety.
Resorts of the Canadian Rockies Inc. operates Fernie Alpine Resort (FAR), on both privately owned lands, and within a CRA.
A CRA license of occupation is the legal mechanism that gives the right to the Operator to control access and use by other persons within the defined boundaries of the CRA. Along with the license to occupy the CRA come the legal rights and responsibility of ownership.
The CRA enables the Operator to:
- Establish and delineate a recreation area boundary within the CRA and designate that boundary by notices, posted signs, fences or otherwise.
- Regulate and prohibit the access & entry of persons & vehicles to the CRA
- Control, prohibit and direct the movement and activities of persons and vehicles with the CRA, and:
- Take trespass action against persons who are in non-compliance with the above
Allowable Uses & Restrictions within Fernie Alpine Resort CRA.
For your own safety, the following rules apply within the Fernie Alpine Resort CRA:
- During published operating hours, all users must purchase a valid lift ticket and abide by all rules and regulations as set out by Fernie Alpine Resort.
- Non-motorized uses such as skiing, hiking and biking are prohibited within the CRA outside of published operating hours.
- A designated trail network at the base of the mountain is open for Nordic skiing, snowshoeing and biking in the winter, and running, walking and biking in the summer. Please visit guest services to obtain all relevant information and trail maps.
- Private motorized vehicles, including snowmobiles, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, cars and trucks are not permitted within the Fernie Alpine Resort CRA at any time. Persons entering this area for the purpose of motorized recreation will be considered trespassers within the Fernie Alpine Resort CRA.
- Hunting, trapping, and shooting activities are also not permitted within the Fernie Alpine Resort CRA.
- If you require access for business purposes, please contact the resort directly.