Scott Downhill Race Series: WEDNESDAY Afternoon Kids and Youth Race presented by Fox & Legends
Please read the EVENT NOTES below for the updates regarding the new COVID restrictions that have been announced for the Interior Health Region.
For the final 2 races of the season (on August 25th and September 1st), racers are only allowed to bring ONE (1) Parent/Guardian with them for spectating and awards to ensure that we stay within the new 100 person gathering limit.
– Check-In for the race will be done via the designated ticket window from 1pm- 4pm on race day.
– All racers must be checked in by 4pm! To ensure we can start the race right at 4:30pm there will be NO last-minute waitlist registration for the final 2 races. To ensure we can fill all the spots available, if a racer cannot make the race anymore they must cancel before 3pm by emailing [email protected] or calling 250-423-2401. Racers who do not cancel and no show for the race will not be allowed to attend the final race.
– Racers, parents, support crew and spectators must follow the Safety procedures of Fernie Alpine Resort – those can be found here – https://skifernie.com/covid-19/summer/.
– Racers will be given start times to limit the gathering of racers at the start area. Racers cannot come to the starting area until 5 minutes prior to their start wave. This will be strictly enforced for the final 2 races.
– All racers must be checked in before 4pm! To ensure we can start the race right at 4:30pm there will be NO last minute waitlist registration. To ensure we can fill all the spots available, if a racer cannot make the race anymore they must cancel before 3pm by emailing [email protected] or calling 250-423-2401.
– Racers are encouraged to social distance at the start area and line up in their start order.
– The immediate finish line area will be limited to race staff.
– Spectators are allowed below the finish line area. 1 spectator max per racer. Spectators are encouraged to maintain social distancing from each other.
Post Race Refreshments and Awards @ Legends/Plaza:
– Post Race awards/refreshments are limited to racers and their 1 parent/guardian only.
– There are no limitations on who you can sit with at your table, however, you must stay with the table configurations that are already in Legend’s (no pushing tables together).
– IMPORTANT: To comply with current Provincial Health Orders there is NO socializing allowed between tables at Legend’s. Patrons must remain seated and cannot move between tables. That means, once you are seated with your group, you stay seated with that group for the rest of the evening (you cannot visit another friend at a different table).
– For those in the plaza, we encourage racers to grab their pop and find their spot in the plaza. Once you have found your spot, please stay there and do not mingle around.
– Results and draw prizes will be done as quickly as we can after the final racer has finished.
– A staff member will go around and hand out the results to everyone at their spots once they are ready (please do not get up to come and grab the results)
NOTE: Masks are now required in all indoor public spaces (as per the new restrictions announced for the Interior Health Region). That includes inside Legend’s Restaurant while going to the washroom or heading to your table (Once seated at your table you can remove your mask).
For those that have attended 3 or more races please check the Overall Series Standings to ensure we have all your races counted.
Wednesday Afternoon Kids Race Details: (for the Thursday Adult/Master race details click here)
The entry fee is $5 per race (includes race and post-race drink sponsored by Legends Mountain Eatery).
A lift ticket or a season pass is required to access the race course. (Lift ticket is not included in entry fee).
To minimize contact points, we will NOT be taking onsite registrations. ALL registrations must be completed ONLINE before 3:45 pm on race day. Spots will be limited so register early. Currently, spots will be limited to 50 per race to help us ease back into racing and ensure we can provide a safe and fun race for everyone. We will continue to monitor numbers and may increase numbers as the season goes on.
Registrations will be taken weekly this year. Registration for the first race will open on July 5th at 9 am. Race registrations for the rest of the series will open on Thursdays at 9 am for the following week’s race.
Kids Male & Kids Female (age 8-12)
Youth Male & Youth Female (age 13-17)
Open Category (18+) – This is for parents who want to race on the same night as their kids. This category will not be eligible for series points and will only be accepted if the race is not full.
*Race category is determined by your age at your first race*
All racers must check-in at the designed Ticket Office Window in the plaza on the day of the race to pay their $5 registration fee and collect their race plate. The dedicated check-in window will be open from 1 pm – 4 pm every Wednesday. Please note all competitors MUST complete their Event Waiver(s) online prior to check-in.
Resort waiver(s) are required prior to racing. Racers must complete up to 2 waivers to participate in the race.
Racers ages 16 and over must complete a resort EVENT WAIVER. Racers ages 15 and under must complete 2 waivers and have their parent or legal guardian complete both an EVENT WAIVER AND PARENTAL CONSENT WAIVER. The waiver(s) just have to be completed once and will cover the whole series.
All waivers must be completed online before coming to check in on race day. No paper waivers will be available this year!
IMPORTANT note for competitors 15yr and younger doing the waivers online – your parent must complete BOTH the EVENT & PARENTAL WAIVERS (you will get 2 confirmation emails – one with the event waiver and one with the parental wavier). Please do not miss one or the other – you cannot complete your registration or pick up your bike plate until both waivers are complete.
Racers will get one lap down the designated course and are timed via our manual Webscorer App. The course will be open to the public all day and racers are encouraged to take a practice run as no formal training run will take place. Following the race, competitors can head over to Legend’s and trade in their race plate for a cold beverage to enjoy as times are tabulated. The prize ceremony will follow in the plaza approx. 20-30 min after the last racer has crossed the finish line. Weekly prizes are given out via draw prizes plus competitors accumulate points at each race, and series champions in each category are crowned at the final race on September 1st (please note racers must compete in a minimum of 3 races over the season in order to qualify for the overall standings).
Racing will start at 4:30 pm on Wednesday and we will have staggered start times to avoid any crowding at the start area. Each racer will be allocated a specific start time. Competitors will not be permitted to enter the start area until 5 minutes before their race time. Only competitors and race officials will be allowed in the starting area (exceptions will be made for parents with kids racing).
The course will be announced on the day of each race and posted here and on the Fernie Alpine Resort Facebook page.
Race #1 – July 7th: Hollow Tree
Race #2 – July 14th: Will Power
Race # 3 – July 21st: Top Gun
Race #4 – July 28th: Eville
Race #5 – August 4th: Bin Logdin (bonus points for going chainless)
Race #6 – August 11th: Top Flight (Top Gun to Alternate Flight Pattern) – THEME RACE this week – Theme is Tropical/Hawaiian with a prize for best outfit.
Race #7 – August 18th: Mr. Berms to Duff Dynasty
Race #8 – August 25th: Top Tree (Top Gun to Hollow Tree) – Finish is at the exit of Hollow Tree (before Lizard Lane)
Race #9 FINAL – September 1st: Lower TNT To Bin Logdin
If you cannot attend a race you have registered for, you have until 3 pm on race day to cancel your registration. To cancel please call 250-423-2401 or email [email protected]
To ensure we can fill as many spots as possible and start the race on time, if racers do not cancel and do not show up for the race, they will not be allowed to attend the final race of the season.
RACE DATES & REGISTRATION
Race #1 – July 7. Registration opens July 5th at 9am
Race #2 – July 14: Registration opens July 8th at 9am
Race #3 – July 21: Registration opens July 15th at 9am
Race #4 – July 28: Registration opens July 22nd at 9am
Race #5 – August 4: Registration opens July 29th at 9am
Race #6 – August 11: Registration opens August 5th at 9am
Race #7 – August 18: Registration opens August 12th at 9am
Race #8 – August 25: Registration opens August 19th at 9am
Race # 9 – FINALE – Sept 1: Registration opens August 26th at 9am
Results from each week’s race are available here: SCOTT DOWNHILL RACE RESULTS
Photo Credit: Emma Polit