Scott Downhill Race Series: Thursday Night Adult & Masters Race presented by Fox & Legends
Please read the EVENT NOTES below for the updates regarding the new COVID restrictions that have been announced for the Interior Health Region.
For the final 2 races of the season (on August 26th and September 2nd), racers are only allowed to bring ONE (1) support person with them for spectating and awards to ensure that we stay within the new 100 person gathering limit.
– Check-In for the race will be done via the designated ticket window from 3pm- 6pm on race day.
– All racers must be checked in by 6pm! To ensure we can start the race right at 6:30pm there will be NO last-minute waitlist registration for the final race. To ensure we can fill all the spots available, if a racer cannot make the race anymore they must cancel before 5pm by emailing [email protected] or calling 250-423-2401.
– Racers, support crew, and spectators must follow the Safety procedures of Fernie Alpine Resort – those can be found here – https://skifernie.com/covid-19/summer/.
– Racers will be given start times to limit the gathering of racers at the start area. Racers cannot come to the starting area until 5 minutes prior to their start wave. This will be strictly enforced for the final race.
– Racers are encouraged to social distance at the start area and line up in their start order.
– The immediate finish line area will be limited to race staff.
– Spectators are allowed below the finish line area. 1 spectator max per racer. Spectators are encouraged to maintain social distancing from each other.
Post Race Refreshments and Awards @ Legends/Plaza:
– Post Race awards/refreshments are limited to racers and a maximum of ONE (1) support person. We are trying to keep things organized and need to stay within the gathering limit number and food & beverage restrictions.
– There are no limitations on who you can sit with at your table, however, you must stay with the table configurations that are already in Legend’s (no pushing tables together).
– IMPORTANT: To comply with current Provincial Health Orders there is NO socializing allowed between tables at Legend’s. Patrons must remain seated and cannot move between tables. That means, once you are seated with your group, you stay seated with that group for the rest of the evening (you cannot visit another friend at a different table).
– Results and draw prizes will be done as quickly as we can after the final racer has finished.
– A staff member will go around and hand out the results to everyone at their spots once they are ready (please do not get up to come and grab the results)
NOTE: Masks are now required in all indoor public spaces (as per the new restrictions announced for the Interior Health Region). That includes inside Legend’s Restaurant while going to the washroom or heading to your table (Once seated at your table you can remove your mask).
For those that have participated in 3 or more races please check out the series standings to ensure all your races are counted (if you spelled your name incorrectly or shorten your name one week then the system counts that as 2 people). Please email [email protected] if there are any mistakes. Series standings can be found here: https://www.webscorer.com/seriesresult?seriesid=249609
Thursday Evening Adult & Masters Race Details: (for the Wednesday Kids/Youth race details, click here)
Everyone’s favourite weekly bike race series is back for 2021 – The Scott Downhill Race Series presented by Fox & Legends Mountain Eatery!
Come out each week for a fun, gravity-fed downhill race followed by prizing, results, and a beverage at Legends Mountain Eatery.
The races will run similar to last summer with Kids & Youth (ages 8-17) racing on Wednesday Afternoons at 4:30 pm and Adults & Masters (ages 18+) racing on Thursdays at 6:30 pm. Races start July 7th and run every Wednesday and Thursday through September 2nd.
The entry fee is $5 per race (includes race and post-race drink sponsored by Legends Mountain Eatery).
A lift ticket or a season pass is required to access the race course. (Lift ticket is not included in entry fee).
To minimize contact points, we will NOT be taking onsite registrations. ALL registrations must be completed ONLINE before 5:45 pm on race day. Spots will be limited so register early. Currently, spots will be limited to 50 per race to help us ease back into racing and ensure we can provide a safe and fun race for everyone. We will continue to monitor numbers and may increase numbers as the season goes on.
Registrations will be taken weekly this year. Registration for the first race will open on July 5th at 9 am. Race registrations for the rest of the series will open on Fridays at 9 am for the following week’s race.
To register click the “Register Here” button below:
Adult Male & Adult Female (age 18-39)
Master Male & Mater Female (age 40+)
*Race category is determined by your age at your first race*
All racers must check-in at the designated Ticket Office Window in the plaza on the day of the race to pay their $5 registration fee and collect their race plate. The dedicated check-in window will be open from 3pm – 6pm every Thursday. Please note all competitors MUST complete their Event Waiver(s) online prior to check-in.
Resort waiver(s) are required prior to racing. Racers ages 16 and over must complete a resort EVENT WAIVER.
All waivers must be completed online before coming to check in on race day. No paper waivers will be available this year!
To fill out the online waiver, click the button below:
Racers will get one lap down the designated course and are timed via our manual Webscorer App. The course will be open to the public all day, and racers are encouraged to take a practice run as no formal training run will occur. Following the race, competitors can head over to Legend’s and trade in their race plate for a cold beverage to enjoy as times are tabulated. The prize ceremony will follow in the plaza approx. 20-30 min after the last racer has crossed the finish line. Weekly prizes are given out via draw prizes, plus competitors accumulate points at each race, and series champions in each category are crowned at the final race on September 2nd (please note racers must compete in a minimum of 3 races over the season to qualify for the overall standings).
Racing will start at 6:30 pm on Thursdays, and we will have staggered start times to avoid any crowding at the start area. Each racer will be allocated a specific start time. Competitors will not be permitted to enter the start area until 5 minutes before their race time. Only competitors and race officials will be allowed in the starting area. Start times will be posted at check-in.
The course will be announced on each race day and posted here and on the Fernie Alpine Resort Facebook page.
Race #1 – Hollow Tree
Race #2 – Will Power
Race #3 – Top Gun
Race #4 – Case Closed to Eville
Race #5 – Bin Logdin – Notes this is a THEME RACE – Theme is party shirts (best outfit wins a prize!). PLUS – Racers have the option of going chainless (bonus points for racers that go chainless).
Race #6 – Top Flight (Top Gun to Alternate Flight Pattern)
Race #7 – Trac III To Duff Dynasty
Race #8 – Top Tree (Top Gun to Hollow Tree)
Race #9 – FINAL – Lower TNT to Bin Lodgin
If you cannot attend a race you have registered for, you have until 5pm on race day to cancel your registration. To cancel please call 250-423-2401 or email [email protected]
To ensure we can fill as many spots as possible and start the race on time, if racers do not cancel and do not show up for the race, they will not be allowed to attend the final race of the season.
RACE DATES & REGISTRATION:
Race #1 – July 8: Registration opens July 5th at 9 am
Race #2 – July 15: Registration opens July 9th at 9 am
Race #3 – July 22: Registration opens July 16th at 9 am
Race #4 – July 29: Registration opens July 23nd at 9 am
Race #5 – August 5: Registration opens July 30th at 9 am
Race #6 – August 12: Registration opens August 6th at 9 am
Race #7 – August 19: Registration opens August 13th at 9 am
Race #8 – August 26: Registration opens August 20th at 9 am
Race # 9 – FINALE – Sept 2: Registration opens August 27th at 9 am
Results from each week’s race are available here: SCOTT DOWNHILL RACE RESULTS.
Photo Credit: Emma Polit